Beginner’s Surf Retreats
We are proud to offer a very special opportunity to learn to surf in Nicaragua at the World Famous Popoyo Surf Lodge. PSL normally caters to intermediate to advanced surfers from all over the globe. However, in the months of January and February 2023, we will be offering three targeted weeks for adventurous and fun loving people who want to LEARN TO SURF or CONTINUE LEARNING from the beginning stages with the PSL team. This will be for guests who have never surfed before or who have tried it and want to improve!! Our 7 night retreats will offer surf instruction starting with the very basics- this is for anyone who has ever wanted to learn to surf and who are also looking for some guaranteed fun and sun to escape the winter months. We invite you to come and let us introduce you to the sport of surfing, to the amazing country of Nicaragua, and show why Popoyo Surf Lodge is the best travel option in Central America for a surf vacation since 1999.
Available Weeks: 8 spots only per week!!! There will be no other clients or surfers at PSL during these weeks.
*** Please reach out if you have at least three surfers and would like to have a private week of instruction.
** Additional weeks will potentially be opened up for November and December of 2023.
Rate: $1495 per person, 7 nights, ALL-INCLUSIVE!!!
- Exclusivity of PSL: we only offer 8 spots for each 7 night retreat.
- Two surf classes per day, morning and afternoon with our PSL instructors. No more than 8 guests with 3 instructors.
- Four different beaches with beginner friendly waves
- Airport transfers from Managua or Costa Rica/Nicaragua border pickup. Travel days are on Saturdays only.
- 3 meals a day made fresh in the PSL kitchen. Vegetarian and Vegan options available.
- 5 deluxe casitas at PSL each with three or four full sized beds. If traveling solo, casitas will be shared between other guys and girls traveling solo. (Guys and girls separately / couples private)
- One LAZY ARMS day out mid week to visit San Juan del Sur, Volcano Mombacho or Masaya, Zipling, or the Colonial city of Granada
- Day trip to the sleepy fishing village of Gigante where you will beach it for the day, have two surf classes, bring a picnic lunch prepared at PSL, and enjoy one of Nicaragua’s most authentic villages and beautiful beach. Perfect for beginners!
- Use of three 4×4 Toyota Hilux pickups and Land Cruiser. We do no cramp large groups into one truck at PSL. Guest comfort is top priority!
- One hour massage included. Extra massages $25 per hour.
- Two evening visits to the local hot water springs. Soak your muscles in the purest, hot mineral water straight out of the ground.
- Surf Board usage
- Video analysis daily and photos to leave with at end of week. You must bring a USB stick. We do NOT provide them!!
- Sunset every evening at a local beach or hangout
- 10% discount off future hard core surf trip (or future lessons packages)
Become a SURFER at PSL!
Your journey learning to become a surfer starts with your instructors. Our surf lessons retreats are exclusively limited to only 8 surfers, with three instructors for the week along with video analysis. Your first time on the surfboard will take place in the privacy of our swimming pool at PSL. Our instructors will teach you where and how to sit and lay on the board, talk about safety, and teach the right technique to paddle. When the group is ready, we will progress to the ocean. Pool time is normally only one class. There are four different waves , all in unique and beautiful settings, that are excellent for learning to surf. Your surf instructors will chose which waves to practice on for both daily sessions based on tides, swell size, and how well the group is doing. Our goal is to teach you to paddle well, duck dive, catch waves on your own, and ultimately stand up and surf.
ABOUT OUR “LEARN TO SURF RETREATS” :
Popoyo Surf Lodge has been open since 1999. Please take some time to familiarize your self with the rest of our website to see photos of the lodge and learn a bit more about us in general. We have made the decision to expand our operations to include SURF LESSONS for only 4 targeted weeks of the year. We have had so many people reach out to us that want to learn to surf, however, we have always felt that in the spring and summer months the waves can be just too big and powerful to truly offer surf lessons safely, but in January and February the swell is normally smaller and conditions ideal for beginners. So we have decided to offer four very personalized and exclusive weeks to share the sport of surfing with adventurous individuals who love the ocean and would like to visit Nicaragua. And hopefully, you will leave PSL ready to plan your trip back to enjoy one of our hard core surf packages!!
PSL has five deluxe casitas and three small bungalows. With a Accommodations:max of only 8 guest per week this will be a FULL-SERVICE, all-inclusive learn to surf vacation. With a 1:1 ratio of PSL staff members to guests, you can make sure all your needs will be catered too. For guests coming solo, girls will share a four bed deluxe casita and guys will share a four bed deluxe casita. All beds are full sized. Couples will have their own casita.
A TYPICAL DAY:
6:00 a.m. wake up and coffee, breakfast, morning stretching
7:00 a.m to 10:00 a.m.: Morning Surf Class
Pools, work on paddling technique or tips, etc in pool, horse back riding (extra cost)
2:00 p.m. 5:00 p.m.: Afternoon Surf Class
5:00 p.m. : Sunset and local hang out or visit hot springs
6:30p.m. or 7:00 p.m. : return to PSL for dinner and video analysis.
There is a day trip out included in the retreat. Your instructors will make the decision which day is best , normally mid week.
** PSL Covers cost of the trucks and guide, guest is responsible for all meals off PSL property, entry fees into Parks, etc.
**** Please note: these times are examples only and the uniqueness of small groups allows our instructors to make changes based on tides and ocean conditions, as well as the progress guests are making.
** Surfing is an extreme sport and excellent swimming skills are required to safely learn to surf. There are no refunds on days lost if guest can not swim or is not comfortable in the ocean nor is PSL or any of its employees responsible for any injuries that might occur while at Popoyo Surf Lodge, in its trucks, or in the ocean.
WHAT TO BRING:
- We recommend travel insurance that covers medical and emergency evacuation. www.worldnomads.com covers surfing.
- Signed Waiver
- Lots of Sunscreen
- Spring Suit or Wetsuit top ** This is a must as water temps can be in mid 70s.
- Flip Flops
- For women: comfortable swim suits that the ocean and waves can not pull off
- Any medications you need
- Small medical kit for nicks and bruises
Come see what all the hype is about! Surf with us at PSL!
PSL has everything ready for you to have the surfing trip of a lifetime. Get your friends together and let’s surf!